Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mission Highly Improbable Part 1

Over the past weekend we made the trek to Olton, TX for an award ceremony. The Chamber of Commerce holds this event this year and it just so happens that Paula's Nonnie was honored as the Citizen Through the Years (crowd roar).

Our understanding was that the award would be given sometime around 7:30pm. Since this was supposed to be a surprise we were to hideout in a hallway just off of the cafeteria and come out when it was announced.

We met at the local Dairy Queen and ate a meal in a relative hurry and then rushed to the school fearing we might be late. We parked crossed the street and went to the doors we thought we were supposed to enter through. Our fearless leader, and Olton High School graduate, Paul cleverly deduced with one tug that these door were in fact locked.

Undeterred we made our way down the sidewalk to the next set of doors. Incidentally this path led right in front of about 10 windows looking directly into the cafeteria where everyone was sitting. Lacy quickly picked out Nonnie in the crowd and kept a vigilant watch.

I being the highly trained, and skilled government employee decided to crouch down, far enough to look awkward and not far enough to not be seen by anyone. Realizing this I linked arms with my father in law so I would appear to be an old woman. An old woman with a male haircut, blue jeans and a black leather jacket.

When we reached the next set of doors we found two unlocked and two locked. The ones that were locked led directly into an adjacent hallway well out of sight. The unlocked doors led into the cafeteria. There was one other doorway blocking the full view of this entry.

We decided because of the great covert abilities I previously demonstrated that I would slip in and open the locked doors from the inside. Actually, we decided this because I am the most likely to blend into a crowd or go unnoticed by those in the room. I'm average build with an average brown/blonde hairstyle, average dress and a generally forgettable appearance. I once introduced myself to the same elder's wife 3 Sunday's in a row at our church in Abilene. I still don't think she'd recognize me.

I slipped in unnoticed and after a brief pucker moment, because my luck the doors would be hooked up to an alarm which would kill the hole evening, I pushed them open and everyone rushed into the hallway.

Now we'd just have to wait and keep three children ages 5, 3, and 1 quiet until it was time. No problem right.

No comments: