Friday, May 9, 2008

TV Dinners: Why do they fool me every time?

No, I did not sit down for an interview with TV dinners. I may do that in the future, but not now. I am irritated by the fact that I always fall for the delicious looking picture on the box.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a lunch for work the next day and finally decided the meatloaf looked good. I know you’re thinking, meatloaf? Well it did look good. A big plump, juicy piece of meat, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, man it looked good.

I opened my frozen dinner about noon to find that the plump, juicy hunk of meat pictured on the box, was in fact so small that I cannot even dignify it by calling it a nugget. I thought there must have been more in there, but they had either fallen out, or if my normal pattern of luck held true, were never placed in the box at the factory.

This is not my first experience with this, which would suggest that I am an idiot. (But, you probably guessed that already.) The same has occurred with a chicken meal. It looked like a nice normal sized chicken breast. Instead of the 36DD chicken breast on the box I got the A cup. (Breast sizes are for comparison only and are not to offend anyone on either end of the spectrum or those in the middle. If I knew the mechanism for measuring the size of chicken breasts I would have used that instead.)

I think there should be a disclaimer on the box that says that, “The photo on the box is the photo of the first meal in this line prepared for the president of our company. Since you are not the president of our company, and are merely of a consumer, your actual dinner will be roughly ½ this size.” “Roughly ½ this size may mean actually ¼ of ½ of the size of the food on the box.” “When we say food on the box we mean it will look similar in nature and feel similar in texture to the food depicted on the box, but the food may not actually be meat, or vegetables.” “When we say meat, we actually mean we have no clue what this crap is. God only knows, we just get it in big barrels, put it in the mold and cook it. God be with you oh weary consumer. Our prayers are with you.”

No comments: